10 January 2012

10-on-10 debut

Since I did SO well executing the Picture the Holidays project (yeah right!), I decided to take on 2 new projects for 2012.  The second will be explained later but the first is 10-on-10.  10-on-10 is where a group of 10 photographers post 10 photos, on the 10th of each month, to document their lives.  The general idea is that the photos be taken one per hour for 10 hours of one day.  Well....rule breaker here.  Here we are in the first month of this and I have already tweaked the assignment.

My 92 year old grandmother recently passed away.  It was expected and sometime during that process, my friend Carey asked me to be part of this 10-on-10 circle.  Of course I accepted and I immediately knew that my first 10-on-10 would be to document my solo 400 mile drive to the town where she lived.  Then my plans changed.  Some very respected (and pushy and motherly) friends convinced me of the error of my ways in driving 16 ours round trip alone while also dealing with the stress of a funeral and being away from my children.  So, I flew.  I still wanted to document this trip, a momentous visit to a town I grew up visiting very regularly.  With flying, an extremely busy schedule, and minimal chances for respectful photos, I decided to stretch out the project and include 10 photos scattered throughout my entire trip.

In the process of opening all these photos I discovered that this project kind of came full circle, just like life often does.


 Folding (A LOT of) laundry and packing before dashing off to Tri-Cities Regional Airport


Charlotte-Douglas Airport 


My chariot from Charlotte to New Bern

 Swinging out over the Neuse River on our approach into the New Bern airport.   


My youngest nephew (until March) in the hotel lobby.

Dad driving me and Mom back from the funeral and graveside services.  Sitting in the backseat of Mom's car really struck me.  I can not count how many family trips we made to New Bern to see my grandparents.  This view of Dad's hands on the steering wheel was a familiar sight.  I can still see the same position from years ago--Dad driving every mile of our 8 hour trip in the old station wagon.  And now, well into my 30's, I was back there to see my grandma one last time.


I found my favorite Muppet while waiting to board in New Bern.  


Even though I was only gone a total of 53 hours and only traveled 1000 miles round trip, I do not remember ever wanting to be back home more than I did at the end of this trip.  I needed to see my Mom after she spent the last month at the side of her dying mother.   I wanted to see her.  I got to do that and also see extended family that I have not seen in years.  And still....this trip was hard.  I know that no one on earth enjoys funerals but I have an extra hard time with them since our first child died.  During funerals, my brain takes me to places that I just do not want to go and I feel it in the pit of my soul.  This plane, my first connection towards home, was a very welcome and also bittersweet sight.


 Again--my wreck of a bed while I unpack.  Full circle.  

My favorite three guys right before bedtime.  They can all drive me absolutely batty on any given day but when I have to be away from them, I miss the craziness.  Really bad.


To continue in our journey through 10-on-10, check out the next entry with Cecilia Moreno.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, Jessica! What a moving first post on this project. I'm so sorry about your Grandmother.
    I'm so glad you joined our group, your work is beautiful, and I love the way you bring us into your thoughts. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Words don't fully convey how glad I am that you are joining me on this project!!! And even if you did break the 'rules' (which are totally loose anyway), it was a perfect introduction to the project! I love how you artistically documented the entire trip, with each image. And I hope that these images can be a way to take you back to that last trip to a place you visited so much as a child.

    And are those photos on the wall beside your bed new? I don't remember them being there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the group! Beautiful images! I don't know where New Bern is but from your approach shot it looks beautiful! Looking forward to getting to know you through your photography.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry for your loss.

    Love the one of your nephew. Reflection photos are always awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such an intense introduction to 10 on 10 Jessica. I'm so sorry for your families loss, you documented it though so well with your words and photos. Looking forward to happier times for you. Welcome to our group!

    Laurie
    http://www.lmvengo.blog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad that you could join our group and so sorry about your loss. I am thrilled to share this project with you.

    ReplyDelete